Yellow Moong Dal Halwa | Pesarapappu Halwa ~ Navarthri Special Dishes

>>  Friday, October 26, 2012

Pin It

I finally got hold of the magazine that I was searching for, when I did the Moong Dal special theme. I had seen some beautiful pictures of dishes from Andhra made with Moong Dal/ Pesarapappu. Something with so many other things that have been happening lately, I wasn't ready with the dishes until the last day. Then to my horror I couldn't find the magazine. Imagine I searched the whole house, but couldn't find it. I ended up making something else all together.

Then one day I suddenly realized I would find that book in a cover and lo it was right there under my nose! The pictures are so beautiful, that you will curb the urge to grab from the page. Sadly as I always knew, if I simply follow a recipe without thinking, the recipe is bound to fail. this recipe is actually supposed to be a laddo. But the method as explained hardly shows the mix will end up being a laddo. I knew it, still wanting to follow the recipe to the T, I just went ahead and you know why you are reading a recipe about a halwa right now.

The taste is great, as Athamma says, obviously when a dish has sugar and ghee, why wouldn't it not be tasty. But I wanted to capture a picture that was as pretty as in that magazine and not a makeover dish of the same. I very rarely end up with a disastrous recipe, and in case it turns out I try my best to make it something else. In this case the laddo became halwa! Another one added to my ever increasing halwas.











Ingredients Needed:

Split Yellow Moong Dal - 1 cup
Sugar - 1 & 1/4 cup
Ghee - 2 tsp
Cardamom a pinch

How to make the halwa

In a non stick pan, heat ghee and roast the moong dal till it turns colour. Allow to cool and grind to a fine powder.

Melt sugar and make one thread syrup, add the cardamom powder. Then slowly add the moong dal powder and mix it briskly. Make sure lumps are not formed.

When the mix starts leaving the sides, remove from the flame.



Notes:

The first time I made this, I left the mix on the flame for it to completely leave the sides. The moment I removed the mix became hard. There was no way to make it balls.

The second time I made, I removed it within seconds of the mix leaving the sides, this time the mix wouldn't form laddo shape.

I normally make laddos with powdered dal and powdered sugar, comes out great.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 21


16 comments :

ANU October 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM  

nice and healthy halwa
B-O-O-O-O Halloween Event Oct 5th to Nov 5th
SYF&HWS - Cook with Spices

South Indian Cooking (SIC) Series

divya October 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM  

delicious n yummy...

Archana Potdar October 26, 2012 at 7:34 PM  

This is not bad looking Valli. Will dip my spoon in it.

Angie's Recipes October 26, 2012 at 7:36 PM  

I like split yellow peas. This looks very tasty!

The Pumpkin Farm October 26, 2012 at 9:53 PM  

lol...did u really start with laddoo recipe n endede making halwa....happens to me all the time...i never let people know that it is a disaster, i cover up saying this is how i wanted my dish to be :)..but as long as it tastes good who cares...accidents like these result in culinary magic ;)...i loved the first picture a lot

Priya October 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM  

Quite a different moongdal halwa, never prepared this way.Usually i go for pressure cooked moongdal.

Teena Mary October 27, 2012 at 1:03 AM  

Very tasty recipe! Bookmarked to try :)

Chef Mireille October 27, 2012 at 1:44 AM  

making sweets from peas is so healthy and this looks so inviting

Gayathri Kumar October 27, 2012 at 6:08 AM  

Loved the halwa which was meant to be laddus. This is what happened to me when I tried making soan papdi.

Suja Manoj October 27, 2012 at 6:44 AM  

Tempting halwa,great recipe,thanks for sharing.

foodiliciousnan October 27, 2012 at 10:16 AM  

Haha...laddoo halwa...who card as long as we end up with something tasty to eat! Looks very inviting Valli!

PJ October 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM  

LOL Srivalli. SOmething of this sort happened to me too but as Pradnya mentioned I never let out the secrect about the dish going wrong.

This is a nice variation of halwa. Looks nice Srivalli...

vidhas October 28, 2012 at 8:57 AM  

Teptin halwa.this sounds great , i made after grinding, surely try tghis.

Spandana October 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM  

Some recipes taste good than they look... but this is not bad as you said :)
Looks very delicious!!!

Nivedhanams Sowmya October 30, 2012 at 10:22 AM  

even people in my house - what can go wrong in taste when so much ghee and sugar is added!!!! Halwa looks interesting!!
Sowmya
Ongoing Event + Giveaway - CEDD – HONEY
Ongoing Event - CWF - Whole Wheat Flour

kareena Shaikh January 16, 2013 at 5:18 PM  

very nice recipe.

Cosmetic Surgery India

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP