Sheera Recipe / Sooji Halwa

>>  Monday, June 11, 2012

Pin It

When I was making this thali I wanted to make something new, especially knowing that I was making Bihar special dishes. I was searching for sweet dishes and knew I had to know how they make sheera. I landed in couple of recipes and all sounded very much like our kesari bath. Some had little variations that might account for it to be looking different.

Then I was discussing about it with my hindi speaking friends, they also said that Sheera is famous at their places. Well we had some open discussion that got them understand that it's exactly if not very much the same old kesari bath. This recipe that I made finally had some inclusion which isn't very much, except it tasted different because of the spice that you add.

This also reminded my discussion with my Bengali colleague, who is staying away from his home town and is missing the summer special from his place. He sent me a picture of Leeches, I asked what he was doing. He said he wanted to share the summer special things that he is missing from his place. I asked him to send other special things that he is missing. He sent in Nungu, I said we get that here too. He was surprised, what followered very couple more summer specials. To all his queries I said we very much get those special in Madras. Leeches, though not a resident fruit is widely available, rest of the fruits are common to our place as well. Finally he agreed the Mangoes he ate here were much sweeter than what he remembers. Well I was happy hearing that.

Let's see how the Saffron strands are used in this Sheera. I normally don't add saffron to my kesari bath.

Sheera
Sheera ~ Kesari Bath with Saffron

Ingredients Needed

Wheat sooji / Wheat Rava - 1 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Cloves - 2
Raisins and Cashews - handful
Milk - 1 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Saffron a big pinch + 1 tbsp warm milk

How to make Sheera

Soak the Saffron in warm milk in a cup. Keep it aside.

Heat ghee and add cloves, Cashews and Raisins, fry for sometime.

Add wheat sooji and fry on low flame till it starts turning colour and lets out a nice aroma.

Add sugar, milk and water. Simmer for few minutes.

Towards the ends, add the saffron dissolved in milk.

Close and cook till water is absorbed. Add cardamom powder and mix well.

Serve hot.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 17


24 comments :

Priya June 11, 2012 at 1:17 AM  

Will add saffron next time while making halwa,yummy.

Shobha June 11, 2012 at 2:16 AM  

Delicious sheera.

Chef Mireille June 11, 2012 at 5:13 AM  

I love learning about the different regional foods

Jayanthi June 11, 2012 at 7:05 AM  

I'm sure the cloves must be giving out its aroma and taste in this dish which might separate it out from our kesari bath. Lovely use of saffron, didn't it change color?

Nirmala Gurunathan June 11, 2012 at 7:38 AM  

never tried sheera with wheat rawa...Looks healthy!!!!! Will soon try this

Srivalli June 11, 2012 at 7:59 AM  

Thanks everybody.

Jayanthi I have noticed that the saffron doesn't change the colour much at times. Maybe depends on the quality and the way we soak..If you noticed the Rice had a slight colour change,..:)

Usha June 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM  

Interesting, I never considered adding cloves to sooji halwa. This version might be sweet & a little spicy then. Will try next time.

vaishali sabnani June 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM  

Sheera and Kesari bhaath sound same..but let me tell u there are lots and lots of different ways to do sheera too..adding cloves will definitely change the flavor..n agree with u ..sometimes saffron just doesnt give that color.

Rumana Rawat June 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM  

this is my husband's fav halwa.. lovely recipe.

Jayashree June 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM  

Sheera with wheat rava is a nice variation.

radha June 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM  

Will try it with wheat rava next time. I found a finer version in the organic food section and therefore an added motivation. And also, ask your bengali friend to get you the date palm jaggery that they make in the winter. And make suji halwa or even kesari with it - replace the sugar. It is absolutely delicious.

PJ June 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM  

I am trying to guess the taste of cloves in the sheera.Yes,sometimes saffron does not impart it color to the dish but it still has the flavor in it..

The Pumpkin Farm June 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM  

our best bet for breakfast many days...love it....btw saffron needs to be warmed in a spoon directly on flame and then soaked in few drops of milk or water for best color and aroma...tip from dear MIL

A Kamalika Krishmy June 11, 2012 at 10:23 PM  

this halwa reminds me about .. Visu s film .. where he craves for this halwa

rekhas kitchen June 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM  

That s a alltime favorite and that plater looks a complete meal yummy.

sushma June 12, 2012 at 3:10 AM  

yummyyyyyyyyyy

Sangeetha June 12, 2012 at 3:53 AM  

adding cloves to kesari is new to me...sounds very flavorful n love this classic sheera any time!
Spicy Treats

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi June 12, 2012 at 4:43 AM  

I almost always add saffron but never tried adding cloves. should try it out sometime.

PriyaVaasu June 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM  

Quick to make Halwa!!!!

Nalini's Kitchen June 12, 2012 at 6:28 PM  

Delicious and flavorful sheera...

DivyaGCP June 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM  

Delicious and yummy dessert.

Divya's Culinary Journey
Showcase- FUN IN THE SUN

Suma Gandlur June 13, 2012 at 6:13 AM  

Love sheera in all forms.:)

Turmeric n Spice June 14, 2012 at 8:50 AM  

Awesome dessert !!

veena krishnakumar June 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM  

Love sheera....and the best i have tasted till now is in poona:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP