Semiya Saggubiyam Payasam | Semolina Sago Porridge | Payasam Varieties

>>  Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pin It


Today's post is a special recipe. It's a payasam that Amma makes for Ugadi and only this year I came to know the reason behind it. Somehow she had never disclosed until this time, that this was a dish her Mom used to prepare. As always, there is that tilt I can hear in Amma's voice when she talks about her mom. Though we don't talk about it, it's been nearly five months since she passed away, we still converse as if she is with us still. So hearing about how she made it, really made it very special. I was determined that I record as how Amma was taught this to be made. 

I am not sure however much I record this with clarity if I will be able to get that same texture as I could see in the picture. But still the day was special for me with Amma sharing the tradition behind each dish. Her mom  always only makes this combination for the Ugadi pooja and never on the regular days. I could  imagine how important this was to her.

I hope I have done justice in writing it as intended. I especially sat with Amma and took notes to recreate it again in my Kitchen.


Semiya Saggubiyam Payasam

Semiya Saggubiyam Payasam

Ingredients Needed:

Semiya - 1/2 cup
Sago - 1 cup
Milk - 1/2 lit
Sugar - 1 cup
Cardamom pw a pinch
Cashew nuts & Raisins as needed
Ghee - 1 tsp

How to make the Payasam

Heat a small pan with ghee, roast the nuts and raisins. Keep it aside.

Soak the sago for 30 mins. Then boil the sago in 3 cups water. If you are going to pressure cook, then use1 & 1/2 cups water for 2 whistles.

Meanwhile roast the semiya in ghee and keep it aside.

Also have the milk boiled and ready. 

Once the pressure falls off, pour the milk into the sago, when it starts to boil, add the semiya. Cook for couple of mins. Then add sugar and continue cooking. 

Finally garnish with cashew nuts and raisins.


Andhra Thali
Notes:

The entire cooking has to be done in low flame.


Total cooking time will be 20 mins in pressure cooker.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 15


22 comments :

Champa April 26, 2012 at 1:04 AM  

You just made me get hungry for this payasam. I am going to make it right now.

Chef Mireille April 26, 2012 at 2:11 AM  

i love sago...must be a delicious payasam!

Priya April 26, 2012 at 2:38 AM  

My all time fav, wish to have anytime...

Jayanthi April 26, 2012 at 3:43 AM  

We remember our loved ones with such recipes and thanks for sharing such a cherished recipe of your Amma's Amma...The payasam looks fantastic. Good one Valli.

Pavani April 26, 2012 at 7:22 AM  

Payasam looks delicious. Anything that is passed from elders definitely means a lot to us, especially family recipes -- they will be cherished even more for generations to come. Thanks for sharing your family recipe.

Tina April 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM  

Delicious..

Swati Sapna April 26, 2012 at 12:33 PM  

Thats the great thing about food blogs! Its the best way to carry forward the food legacy which might otherwise get lost in the sands of time...
I love Sagubiyam payasam - it is a childhood favorite and was made for many festivals and special occasions.

Rumana Rawat April 26, 2012 at 1:33 PM  

Superb looking thali dear:)

Gayathri Kumar April 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM  

Payasam looks delicious. Grandma's recipe is sure to win hearts...

Gayathri Kumar April 26, 2012 at 1:37 PM  

Payasam looks delicious. Grandma's recipe is sure to win hearts...

PriyaVaasu April 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM  

Delicious Payasam!!!! Must be a cherished recipe with lot of emotions attached to it!!! :)

Kalyani April 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM  

thats a wonderful combo.. never tried it.. guess I could add condensed milk to this to quicken the process :)

also thanks for sharing the lovely story from ur family on this payasam !


Kalyani
Sizzling Tastebuds
Event : Pickles & Preserves Fest + Giveaway
Event : CWS - Oats

vaishali sabnani April 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM  

I was touched to read this...wonderful recipe and very well executed!!

Nalini's Kitchen April 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM  

Delicious and tasty payasam..looks awesome.

Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi April 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM  

Never tried semiya and sago. But payasam is payasam any day..ready to gulp it down!!

rajani April 26, 2012 at 10:42 PM  

That's touching Valli!

Jagruti April 27, 2012 at 1:32 AM  

The Andhra Thali looks so traditional and beautiful..reminds me of Odia festival meals :)

Cool Lassi(e) April 27, 2012 at 4:14 AM  

I love the payasam. Payasam with milk base is my personal favorite. Thanks for sharing the payasam that is close to your heart. And may your grandma rest in peace.

Vardhini April 27, 2012 at 5:12 AM  

Good that you are blogging all the cherished family recipes Valli. Payasam looks yummy.

Vardhini
CooksJoy

Suma Gandlur April 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM  

I make this combo regularly at home.
I can understand the sentiments behind the preparation. Sunnundalu always remind me of my maternal grand mother.

PJ April 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM  

Nostalgic post Srivalli. The traditions passed on from our elders are definitely a treasure. Payasam looks tempting Srivalli :)

Aarthi April 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM  

we make that payasam often in our house..Love that complete thali

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP