Mint Coriander Chutney / Pudina Kothamalli Chutney | Side dish for Chapati

>>  Sunday, March 11, 2012

Pin It

Sometimes with all the chutneys you have, you still feel you don't have enough ideas for making side dishes for either Chapatis or Dosas. This happens to us most of the time. So when there was a mix of herbs left out, it was decided we make a new version of the regular pudina chutney. Though this chutney was originally made for Dosa, I served with Chapati also. I was happy to see that the chutney was good with both the dishes. So here you have a versatile chutney that can be made for anything.
 
Days have been so hectic off late, with so many things happening. Nothing that earth moving to be shared of course. However I feel I have been tied up so much that even posting on a regular basis became impossible. Annual exams are over the boys and they have half day school. At times we wonder why they should be subjected to even that and at the same time know it will be extremely hard to keep them occupied at home. Some days they take their breakfast, sometime will want only biscuits. I know with them moving to higher class, I should really plan for their lunch box. I am sure I have lot of company when I say that moms are so occupied with the lunch box. I fear the box coming back untouched.
 
Being a Sunday and hubby dear off with some work the whole day, I knew I could plan and post something that we cooked last week. With the power cuts being increased to two hours a day, it's extremely frustrating to be unproductive for that prime time. Of course the entire day is a prime time when it comes to Sunday. We got about a kilo of garlic for a good price and saw it was still wet. I love such hand work, and sat down splitting out the garlic bulbs. Chinnu is always interested in such tasks and was helping me out. I was asking him if he wants to learn cooking and he was nodding his head. I know I have very good students at hand who are always interested in cooking.
 
Coming back to the Chutney recipe, this is quite simple to make and tastes great with almost anything!

Coconut Chutney and Mint coriander chutney with Chapati


Pudina Kothamalli Chutney

Ingredients Needed:

Mint Leaves / Pudina - 1 cup
Coriander leaves - 1 cup
Curry leaves - 1/2 cup
Coconut, finely chopped - 2 tbsp
Garlic - 2 cloves
Onion - 1/2 medium
Coriander Seeds - 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds / Jeera - 1 tsp
Green chillies -  4 - 5
Tamarind - 1 marble size
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp

How to make the Pudina Kothamalli Chutney

Wash and drain all the leaves on a colander.

Heat a non stick pan and add oil. Roast each ingredient, except tamarind in hot oil, remove when they turn colour.

When all the ingredients are roasted, switch off and add the tamarind. Allow to cool.

Grind to a smooth chutney, adding just enough water to get a smooth texture.

Serve with Dosa/ Chapati / Hot Rice.

Notes:

You can soak the tamarind in water, use the tamarind water for grinding. If you know that tamarind is clean you can simply add during the grinding after being cooked for couple of mins finally.

Check out other Chutney Recipes


4 comments :

Preeti Garg March 11, 2012 at 2:43 PM  

Awesome flavor for summer

visit @my blog for my first event in ur free time :-)
Preeti
Ongoing Event--Color n Sweet-HOLI FEST
Preeti's Kitchen Life

Krithi's Kitchen March 11, 2012 at 8:58 PM  

Hey I too make this but slightly different!! Great side dish!!

Viya March 12, 2012 at 6:13 AM  

Nice side dish, hi my name is Viya and my Blog is Spicenflavors, I do follow your Blog and like it too. Do visit my Blog and follow:)

Hemavathi Murari March 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM  

Great chutney.

It looks great.

Hema's Adugemane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP